Endowedsblog

14 March 2017

Super Falcons defender reveals how she played in Women’s AFCON final with fractured hand

(Endowed Blogs.)Onome Ebi

Super Falcons defender Onome Ebi has revealed that she played the final minutes of the 2016 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations (AWCON) final against Cameroon with a fractured hand. Ebi injured her hand in the 88th minute of the game before returning to the pitch to help the Super Falcons hold on to their 1-0 lead to win the 2016 AWCON title.

It was a corner kick, I went with two opponents and my landing I felt this sharp pain and I had to go down,” the 33-year-old defender told Pulse in an interview.

Asisat Oshoala and Onome Ebi play Onome Ebi celebrating with her teammate after the Super Falcons lifted the 2016 AWCON (Instagram/Onome Ebi )

Nobody knew what it was, fans were thinking I was faking it because it was just two minutes to end the game
“My own teammates were telling me ‘Ebi stay down, stay down’.
I went outside and I noticed that I had this pain but because of the pressure of the game, I just wanted to go back and play not knowing I had a fracture.
“I went in, held my hand and I did not feel anything. My mind was just to finish the game.
“After the game, I just fell down and was crying because then I started feeling serious pain.
“Then my physio came over and said sorry, ‘it’s just a small pain’, I said no, ‘this is worse than that.
“We left to Abuja and when we went for a scan and they said I had a fracture.”
Onome Ebi play Onome Ebi was operated on in Abuja (Instagram/Onome Ebi )

After winning Nigeria’s 8th AWCON title, Ebi and her Super Falcons teammate returned to Nigeria and embarked on a protest over their unpaid bonuses and salaries.
While speaking to Pulse, Ebi confirmed that all their debts from the 2016 AWCON have been settled. 
It wasn’t easy from start by I thank God, everything went well in our favour,” the defender said about the tournament. 
“It wasn’t easy but with one mind and unity in the team, we were able to go there and conquer.
“We played out hearts out despite our bonuses not coming, we told ourselves to focus and make our country proud.”
Onome Ebi play Onome Ebi wants to play in another FIFA Women's World Cup (Temple Management )

Ebi has played for the Super Falcons in three FIFA Women’s World Cup but is eyeing another just for one reason.
I’m looking to play in the World Cup and at least progress from the group stage,” she said.

 

No comments: