Endowedsblog

16 November 2016

Weekly Discovery: Nonso Amadi

Nonso Amadi


Nigerian musician Nonso Amadi is a breath of fresh air, appealing to the music senses, delivering pleasurable sounds pulled from his experiences to tell real stories through his music.
Blending his smooth voice, fondling with R&B and rap as the situation arises coupled with great ears for unique sound that makes him a fantastic producer, Pulse Music dives a bit into the world of the multi-skilled Nonso Amadi for our music audience to get familiar.


Nonso Amadi Nonso Amadi

How did the music all start for you? 
I took music up seriously as a shared interest with a close friend of mine in University (back when I was in Covenant University). I used to make beats mainly to impress him because he is someone I admire production-wise.
It hasn’t really been a linear trend of growth since then, it’s always been quite rough since we just hardly ever did the commercial songs. We both explored different genres and tried to find what sounded good and unique to us. 
Do you write every single one of your songs?
Yes I do. Writing is kind of the most interesting and most mind-involving/evolving part of the process for me, I also write songs for some other artistes.
What’s the favourite song you have enjoyed recording so far, and what’s the story behind it?
Quite a tough question. I enjoy most of my recordings a lot cos I’m so relaxed (like sitting or laying down) lol, but if I had to choose it would be ‘Suicidal’.
So I should probably state first of all that I draw inspiration to write and record songs from depressing phases of my life such as heartbreak, jealousy, ghost-admiration and so on.
I think it was at the peak of all those things that I recorded the song because I had just been let down by a girl I really liked. So I came back home that day and recorded how I felt as fluently as I could trying not to shed tears.
Nonso Amadi.jpg Nonso Amadi.jpg

You released an EP titled “Alone” about a year ago, and about to release another titled “Late Nights”, I take it the reception of the Alone EP was very impressive.
That’s right. The reception of “Alone” was unforeseen in a good way and I intend for my next project - late nights to show diversity in my music style.
 The “Alone” EP you said, is inspired by true events. The theme of the EP seems to be primarily centered on love and romance. You want to tell us more about that?
 Yeah. It really was inspired by true events and it can take forever to explain all of what happened in detail. However, it enters about a girl I really liked in the U.K that wasn’t acting like it was mutual at first but things happened and feelings became mutual later which i also sang about on the song “long way home”.
 What can we expect from the “Late Nights” EP you drop this month?
 This EP has been postponed sadly, it’s taking a while to get it done. 
You’re based in Canada, how’s the reception of your sound among the locals and Diaspora audience over there?
Yeah. I only got here in Canada three months ago, doing a masters in Mcmasters University, Ontario. There aren’t a lot of people I have met that are familiar with my sound here. Hopefully that’ll change soon.
Nonso Amadi.jpg play Nonso Amadi.jpg
(Nonso Amadi.jpg)

You rapped for some seconds in 'Over and out', produced by IBK. Tell us about that, was that a one-time rap thing seeing as you majorly sing.
 Lol. I actually rapped through that song. I like rapping, i started off as a rapper and i still am (I think), its been such a long time but I’m sure if the need arises to drop a few bars then..lol. I think the rapping phase developed my lyrical ability a lot because they do so much in putting an experience in 16 lines. They are way better than the average singer lyrically in my opinion, and if I ever wanted to improve I will try that.
 You also produce some of your songs which makes us wonder which is your first love, production or singing.
 Another tough one. Producing. I have absolutely no reason I can think of, it just seems like the right choice lol.
What’s your deal with The Hills Music Group? 
Hills Music Group is made up of a group of friends including me that are based in the U.K. The idea is to promote any exceptional talent in Nigeria and Africa as a whole to the world. So it’s not quite set up as a record label yet but as promoting platform. I just happen to be one of the founders. 
Can you tell us how a recording session typically is like for you?
I think the process of recording itself is such a stressful thing, but i try as much as possible to very relaxed. I’m going to try to do a few videos that give a bit more insight to this. 
Which Nigerian artist would you love to collaborate with?
There aren’t a lot of Nigerian artists I hope to work with because of the conflicting sounds/styles, but to name the few i do look forward to work with - Tay Iwar, Wizkid, Wande coal, Maleek berry and Simi.
What’s the grand vision for your music career?
I just have two musical bucket list items currently. Firstly, just to meet with Jon Bellion, Secondly, to be on the Billboard charts someday.
Start with Nonso's 'Alone' off the "Alone" EP, while we patiently wait for another great body of work that the "Late Nights" EP would bring.


No comments: